Pages

Friday, 13 September 2013

Camping Trip to the Bruce Peninsula - Part 1

Ok, so I really lapsed there in my blogging....so much has happened that I'm not even going to try and catch up on all of it.  Instead I will just add the odd post here and there as I remember....our first trip home, including a stop in Paris, Ben's birthday, the summer (including summer camp) and so on.  I have to restart my updates though with our most recent camping trip to Bruce Peninsula National Park.

I had heard of just how beautiful the Georgian Bay area is, and how clear the waters are....and it tied in nicely with our Canada bucket list to camp near every great lake shore that has an Ontario shoreline (well, except for Lake Ontario as we live right by it).  It is such an amazing place, I heard, that despite finding out that there are snakes, including the endangered Massassauga Rattlesnake, cougars, wolves, coyotes and BEARS, I swallowed my fears and booked 3 nights in the National Park.  And, apart from the first night where I didn't sleep a wink imagining bears and the like pawing through our campsite, I enjoyed every last minute.  The kids had an amazing time too - any excuse to go feral :-)

I'll tell the rest of the story with the following pictures - my words could never do it justice, and I know you only really read this for the pictures right?!


Our campsite

Helping daddy start a fire for dinner - you have to start early as once it gets to about 6:30, the light out here fades fast

 Jasmine cooking onions for our burgers 

Awwww!

Pretty dark already!

S'Mores!


The first night we just had time to set up camp, eat and go to bed.  On our first day, we started off the morning (after a yummy breakfast of bacon rolls and coffee/juice)with a snake hike with a Park Ranger around the Singing Sands Beach ( so called, because the Native Indians believed that in certain winds the sands appear to sing - this is actually scientifically proven to really happen).  We learned so much about the different types of snakes found on the Peninsula and how they are protected by federal law.


a discarded rattle!

A shed snake skin

SNAKES! - Two pregnant Queen Snakes....they were slithering so fast through the rocks that I couldn't get a clear shot

Sofia wasn't scared of bears...

In the afternoon we went to the famous Indian Head Cove and the Grotto.  What awesomeness... but first you have to hike to it through the woods...

It's hot! Are we there yet?

Tree hugger :-)

Stopping for a quick break

Sofia get's a ride

But isn't THIS so worth it?!

Beautiful!

The waters were so frigid though, that despite the snorkelling gear, Ben didn't actually dare swim all too much :-)

See how clear that water is!
Did I mention how FREEZING the water was?!  But there are no shower facilities in the National Park, and it was hot, so lake swimming it was :-)


Just climb into this cave from those cliffs in the background (Ben and Jas are like mountain goats, they practically skipped down them....me?  Not so much!).....

.....And this is your reward...The Grotto.  Pool of awesomeness.  Crazy cold and crazy deep and crazy turquoise.

I'm going to share more photos from the rest of the trip in a separate post as there are so many more - the stunning views and experiences were endless.

Living here, there is so much to see and do that we rarely want to see the same place twice - not when there are so many other places on our list.  But we all agreed that Tobermory (more on that quaint little town next time) and the Bruce Peninsula National Park are to be our new summer tradition.  We can't wait to go back again - and if any family happen to come out and visit us during the summer, we shall take them too and introduce them to the sheer beauty of Georgian Bay and Lake Huron.  Form an orderly queue.....


No comments: